Friday 27 December 2013

Liberty Print Presents

I really enjoyed watching the Channel 4 documentary on Liberty of London in the run-up to Christmas. There really is nowhere quite like Liberty. With the eclectic mix of Art Nouveau prints, exotic interiors and cutting-edge new design talent, all housed within the confines of the famous mock-Tudor building off Regent Street, Liberty really is a destination shop. Where else could you find a giant grizzly bear toy alongside this season's must-have Christmas decorations?

I love the heritage behind Liberty and their print archive looks like heaven to any fan of vintage textiles. Recently, I was particularly lucky to spot a vintage Liberty scarf in a charity shop. Its bold design suggests it's from the swinging '60s - and unfortunately it's age shows in that there were two small tears along one edge. For just £5 it was still a great buy and my lovely Mum skillfully sewed it up for me and wrapped it up with my Christmas presents. To complete my Liberty print haul, my sister made me one of her signature zip brooches and covered a diary in one of my favourite bird prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment